Today is International Literacy Day and this year's slogan is "Literacy is the best remedy" .. linking good health to literacy !
I was inspired to celebrate and found this on the internet <courtesy http://www.nifl.gov/nifl/literacy_day/ild_local.html>
Suggested Activities for Individuals
- Take a field trip to a local literary landmark.
- Learn about and support local literacy projects.
- Join a book discussion group.
- Develop a home library.
- Sponsor a child in a reading program.
- Give a book as a gift.
- Volunteer to read to patients in a hospital or nursing home.
- Get a library card and use it.
- Share your enthusiasm for a book with a child.
- Read books aloud to family and friends.
- Reread a favorite book.
- Ask your friends to tell you about the books that shaped their lives.
- Help a child write and illustrate a book.
- Attend readings at your local library or bookstore.
- Recommend a favorite book to a friend.
- Use television to encourage reading.
- Teach someone to read.
I am going to think about it and see how I can contribute or celebrate my literacy :-)